Moi University becomes the first University in Kenya to establish, and soon operationalize a Research Integrity Office. The establishment of the Office is a result of one of the outcomes of a project collaboration between Moi University and Indiana University (USA). The Office will oversee the promotion, facilitation, and implementation of Research Integrity activities across all Schools/Faculties/Colleges at Moi University. Prof. John R. Baumann, Associate Vice-President for Research Compliance at Indiana University (USA) visited the University on Tuesday 9th November 2021 to access the preparedness of the University to establish the office. Prof. Baumann was received by Prof. Nathan O. Ogechi, Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Students Affairs) on behalf of the Vice-Chancellor, and Prof Simeon Mining, Director, Research.
Read more on the Research Integrity Office
Research Integrity Office
Established under the Directorate of Research, Moi University Research Integrity Office (MURIO) shall oversee the promotion, facilitation and implementation of Research Integrity activities across all Schools/Faculties/Colleges at Moi University. The Director Research shall designate the Research Integrity Officer who will have primary responsibility for implementation of the policy and procedures to mitigate Research Misconduct. Initially, the MURIO will be tasked with receiving and keeping records of any allegations of RM and creation of awareness about RM and its effects on the scientific enterprise. The office shall be instrumental in coordinating training activities on responsible conduct of research. The office shall develop structures to receive and document allegations of RM from whistle-blowers. Once fully established, the MURIO will gradually expand activities to overseeing inquiry, investigation, and conclusion of the allegations through filing a final report to the relevant University and National Regulatory Authorities.
The MURIO shall be mandated to ensure that;
- There is transparency, accountability and fairness in handling and concluding allegations;
- Mechanisms are put in place for preservation of the reputation of both the whistle blower or complainant and the accused during investigation and determination process and;
- The whole process is concluded in a timely manner.
The MURIO shall therefore develop mechanisms that:
- Promotes research integrity through education in Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR);
- Organizes periodic awareness creation forums for researchers (faculty, staff and students) ) about the RM and channels for reporting its occurrence;
- Receives allegations of RM in a manner that safeguards confidentiality for both the whistleblower and alleged perpetrator. Potential sources of allegations include but are not limited to whistle blower, School Research Committees (SRCs), Research Ethics Committees (RECs), suggestion/complain boxes, hard copy reports and letters, hotline numbers, online reports (e-mail, websites) etc.;
- Encourages good faith allegations and sanctions bad faith /frivolous allegations;
- Handles all allegations of RM according to a Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) approved by the appointing authority;
- Forwards the investigation report to the Deputy Vice-Chancellor Academics, Research & Extension (DVC A, R &E) for action per the University overall disciplinary policy and copied to School for record and sharing with other national regulators such (NACOSTI and CUE).
Please Click for More Photos of the Occasion